Sunday, December 26, 2010

Am I a runner?

I guess the answer depends on your point of view. 
Here is the beginning of my story:
I joined a local gym in October (2010) and started lifting and doing some cardio with a friend.  Our cardio consisted of a 5 minute run on the treadmill as a warm up.  I found that I felt more comfortable with the cardio than the lifting… so I started hitting the treadmill more and lifting less.  I completed my first 5K race on 11/13/2010.  I finished 43rd with a time of 32:13.  It was hard but I secretly thought I could beat that time.  But soon after upping my miles on the treadmill I felt a twinge of hip pain.  I tried to run through it because I didn’t want to give myself an excuse to stop running.  After some goading from my friends, I finally (12/04/2010) bought some good running shoes; Saucony Hurricane 12’s…  In full disclosure, I also had one visit to a chiropractor for an adjustment (it was my first visit to a chiropractor).  Anyway, I started running and logging miles and the first week I had 18 miles under my belt and no hip pain!  The next week I added up my running log and I had 20.9 miles.  My hubby bought me a Garmin FR60 with heart rate monitor, foot pod and ant-stick (12/18/2010) and I logged into Garmin Connect and now when I come back from my run and walk-by the laptop my stats upload to the computer.  Talk about the lazy man’s way to log miles!  This week was a busy holiday week and I still managed 21.37 miles.  So I realize I am a wife and mother and know the likelihood of my becoming an elite female runner is astronomically low… but I am really excited that I ran a 6 mile run this week and 3 months ago I could barely run a quarter mile.  So this blog is my attempt to push myself to give no rest to my soles J and to answer the question ‘am I a runner’ for myself.

1 comment:

  1. Just found your blog and already love it! Can't wait to see what is in store for you!

    ReplyDelete